I have been nominated by HistorianRuby for the Liebster Award – Thank you! HistorianRuby is a blog I follow because it’s well written and fascinating. She is a historian and writes about English history as well as her own family history. Check out my favorite post of hers here.
So what is the Leibster award? It’s a way “to recognize and/or discover new bloggers; and welcome them to the blogosphere.” Essentially, if you are nominated, you answer the questions put to you by the person who nominated you. You then create 11 questions and nominate other bloggers, who answer your questions, and so on. You can read more about it here.
So here goes:
1. How old were you when you learned to drive?
I remember driving around country roads in New Hampshire when I was 10 or so. My friends dad let us drive down to the farm, which was probably a half mile through a field. I got my license as soon as I turned 16. I was pretty much on my own by then and needed a car.
2. Are you a dancer or a wallflower?
Both. It takes me a while to warm up but the love of music eventually helps me overcome my shyness.
3. What is your favourite drink?
Coffee. It’s not just the drinking, it’s the brewing. It’s a ritual.
4. Do you have any phobias?
Yes. I’m afraid of heights, especially high bridges. I don’t let it change what I’m doing though. I don’t want my kids to see me caving to any fear, especially an irrational one. Somehow I survived driving all over San Francisco and all the bay area bridges.
5. If you could choose to write a history post, what would it be about?
6. Do you have a favourite place to write?
My favorite room is my bedroom. It has a sitting area with a love seat and my grandfather’s arm chair and ottoman. Many happy hours as a child were spent at his side, laying on that ottoman. When I write, I sit on the love seat, legs stretch out along its’ length. Next to me is the ottoman, which I use as a little table. I can look out my windows and see the tree tops and the fields beyond that.
7. Do you have a favourite time to write?
Evenings, but I’ll take any chance I can get.
8. Do you have a favourite TV show?
Not really. I like TV but don’t watch that much. I usually like anything I can watch with my husband.
9. Do you have a blogging schedule?
No. My life is currently too random.
10. Give me an idea for a history blog post
I enjoy history as it pertains to everyday life. So many non-famous people were courageous, tragic, heros etc. I’d like to hear those stories, possibly from the archives of your family history.
11. What are you reading right now, besides this blog!
I like to read the books my kids are reading so I just finished The Fantastic Mr. Fox and am starting Number the Stars and The Witches. As for adult books I just finished Essentialism (life changing. Must read!) and The Girl With All the Gifts. Here’s my Goodreads page.
So, I nominate:
- P.S. It’s Peri
- Derek Powazek
- Reflections and Life Lessons
- The Thoughts Of A Girl With Aspergers
- Mothers in Medicine
- Place for the Stolen
- Doctor in spe
- The Chatter Blog
Here are your questions:
- If you could visit (go inside the world of) any book, which one would it be and why?
- Why do you think the zombie genre is so popular in recent years?
- If you could take a year off from your life, what would you do with the time?
- If you could make a Bill Gates sized contribution to any charity, what would you do?
- What person appears most in your favorite childhood memories?
- Is life better or worse with smartphones?
- What do you think happens after we die?
- If you could have only one electronic device, what would it be?
- Where do you want to be in 5 years?
- Have you ever punched anyone?
- What is something you do just for yourself, just for fun?